Friday, January 23, 2009

Sage of Oxnard

Well here it is. My first Blog about the Great Sage of Oxnard. So I guess the best way to start this is to tell you about how I found this great friend.
In the 1990's I had gone to Alabama to meet my biological father for the first time. I actually ended up living in Mobile, Alabama and going to school for a couple of years while I got to know my family on my Dad's side.
I had actually been looking for an Akita, when I came across an advertisement for the Shilohs. I ended up going to the breeders house and for the first time getting to see what a Shiloh looked like. I was intimidated at the size of Sage's father "Recon" who came from champion "King Shepherd" blood lines. Sage's mother "Jazz" was an almost all black Shiloh who came from the Zion clan.

I first saw Sage, when all 8 puppies of the litter came out to play. All the puppies were relishing the attention they got from this stranger, when all of a sudden Jazz and Recon came out of the house. All the puppies followed suit, and then, out of the blue, Sage stopped following his siblings, and turned around and came back to me as the rest of the puppies continued to follow their parents. Sage in fact chose me!
Not long after I got Sage, we made the trek across I-10 from Alabama back to California. It was Summer, and it was soooo hot. Sage made a mad dash for the Colorado river, once we stopped there to cool off, and dove right into the water with no fear whatsoever.
Sage now lives with me and my wife in Oxnard, California about 100 yards from the beach. He is definitely the King of the sand and every other dog knows it.
When he was younger he would tow me on my Skateboard and loved to run as fast as he could. Now he is happy to just go to the beach and play with some of the other neighborhood dogs.
I'll be sure to add more photos when I can find them, and possibly a video to show you how smart this guy truly is.
For now I will leave you with one of his classic "wolf-like" howls.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive